What is hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid (HA) is a lubricating substance produced naturally by your own body. It is found in the skin, joints, eye sockets and in other tissues to help retain collagen, increase moisture and provide elasticity and flexibility. It is a powerful moisture binding substance that helps keep skin plump, hydrated and youthful.
Reasons to Use Hyaluronic Acid:
- It is a powerful, moisture binding substance that is not harsh or damaging to the skin.
- HA provides instant improvement to the appearance and texture of your skin.
- It attracts moisture to your skin, while also forming a protective mesh over it, to prevent the loss of trans-epidermal water.
- HA smooths visible lines and improves the appearance of crepe and dehydrated skin.
- It is lightweight, does not overload oily skin and is ideal for all skin types.
- HA can be used in liquid serums and dermal fillings.
- It is safe. HA has been used by Aesthetic Clinicians since 1996.
- Hyaluronic acid can help naturally reduce the signs of aging and give better shape to the skin by decreasing epidermis water loss associated with sun exposure, dry skin, and extrinsic and intrinsic aging.
- Results from a 2014 double-blind, randomized clinical trial that appeared in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology showed that products containing hyaluronic acid effectively decreased the appearance of wrinkles, reduced skin sagging, and increased the volume of lips and cheeks.
- Due to it’s ability to help keep tissue moist, HA can be used to help treat cold sores, mouth sores, ulcers, wounds, bites and burns, including sunburn.
- A study published by the US National Library of Medicine on hyaluronic acid determined that hyaluronic acid has a positive effect on intrinsic aging, aging due to the passage of time, and extrinsic aging, aging caused by external environmental factors such air pollutants.
- HA is also used to enhance non-invasive aesthetic treatments, such as injectable filler treatments.
Medical and therapeutic use
Whether on the skin, in the eyes or in joints, hyaluronic acid has a very high capacity for retaining water. It is found in many different tissues including the skin, tendons and joints, the membranes of the eyes, the umbilical cord, synovial fluid, skeletal tissues, heart valves, lungs, aorta, and prostate.
Cosmetic surgeons, Aesthetic Specialists and Dermatologists have been using hyaluronic acid for years to help slow the signs of aging and improve the appearance of the skin. Because HA binds to water, it hydrates the skin and tissues within the lips and cheeks, keeps skin junctions tight, brings nutrients to damaged tissues, and controls inflammation.
In addition to smoothing lines and wrinkles, hyaluronic acid stimulates the production of collagen which enhances and prolongs the results seen with skin rejuvenation. It is used for filling and contouring the lips and cheekbones, smoothing the forehead, and reducing scarring due to severe acne. Hyaluronic acid is injected just under the skin where there is no muscle. Sites of injection include:
- Folds between your nose and the corners of your mouth
- Under Eye (tear trough)
- Frown Lines
- Folds between the corners of your mouth and chin
Other beneficial effects of HA include lubrication of joints, a capacity to fill spaces within tissue and between cells, assist with cell migration, tissue and wound repair, regulate inflammation, and enhance immune responses. For these reasons hyaluronic acid is used by Orthopedic Specialists to treat osteoarthritis and Specialists in Aesthetic Dentistry for dental implants and fillings.
Treatments performed at Costa Rica Aesthetic Medical Center
- Facial Lifting
- Correction of Nasolabial fold
- Elimination of Marionette Lines
- Bar Code Correction (vertical lines around the mouth)
- Mesotherapy With Hyaluronic Acid
- Eye Contour
- Lip enhancement for fuller, thicker lips
- Hand Rejuvenation
- Vaginal Rejuvenation (Training, Correction and Thickening of Vaginal Lips)